1. Group of Five Sponsorship:
Group of Five or more Canadians or Permanent resident who wish to sponsor refugees coming to Canada. A group of five must provide a settlement plan and prove that it has the money to sponsor a refugee.
2. How does a Group of Five qualify to sponsor?
EACH individual member of the Group of Five MUST:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be at least 18 years of age or older;
- Reside in the community where the refugees are planning to live.
- Not be in default of previous refugee or family sponsorship commitments.
- The group needs to show that it has enough money, understands its sponsorship obligations.
- The group must agree to support the sponsored refugee and any family members that come along with him/her for the duration of the sponsorship period, which is usually twelve months and in exceptional circumstances up to 36 months.
3.What Documents Refugees needs in order to start their Application?
- G5s may only sponsor applicants who are recognized as refugees by either the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or a foreign state.
- You must include with the refugee sponsorship application a document proving refugee status recognition that the UNHCR or a foreign state has issued. We will accept a photocopy of the original document.
- The applicant must show the proof of their identity. i.e. National ID cards and passports)
- The Group of five needs to show their financial capability. The following are the example of the proof of Financial Capability.
1.T4 or Notice of Assessment – For employees.
2.T1 and/ or letter from accountant – For self-employed.
3.Pension statement- For Retired people.
Application package to sponsor refugees as a Group of Five.
Complete application package to be submitted to the Resettlement Operations Centre in Ottawa (ROC-O).should include two sets of forms:
Forms to be completed by Group of Five sponsors:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5437]
- Undertaking/Application to Sponsor [IMM 5373]
- Settlement Plan — Group of Five [IMM 5373A]
- Financial Profile — Member of Group of 5 [IMM 5373B]
- Sponsor Assessment (IMM 5492) (PDF, 663.73KB)
Forms to be completed by refugee applicant(s) (Overseas) – IMM 6000 kit:
- Document Checklist [IMM 5679]
- Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008]
- Additional Dependants/Declaration [IMM 0008DEP]
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration [IMM 5669]
- Schedule 2: Refugees Outside Canada [IMM 0008 SCHEDULE 2]
- Two picture of each family member (50 mm x 70 mm (2 inches wide x 2 3/4 inches long)) see Appendix B
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476]
- Add dependent(s) to a private sponsorship undertaking [IMM 5618] (Request for a Refugee Profile)
Disclaimer: The above links from Immigration Canada is strictly for information purposes only. I am not connected or Associated with Immigration Canada.