Your Money Forgotten

Money Unclaimed – Check it out !


My team and I have been doing research on the Internet for some time and wanted to find out if there was anything that would benefit the people world-wide.

While researching the UBB (Unclaimed Bank Balances) on the Bank of Canada (public site), we found out that so many people who had opened accounts with the Banks in Canada, did not have any transactions on their accounts for more than 10 years. Therefore these accounts got transferred to the Main Bank (Bank of Canada).

Your name may be listed on the data base, if you had opened the account with the Banks in Canada and you forgot to withdraw your money, if so then you can withdraw your funds as follows, type your LAST name and follow the instructions.

Visit Bank of Canada website directly –

Unclaimed Money – USA and Canada Provinces

State (USA) and Canadian Provincial Governments are working together to safeguard and return your lost (forgotten) funds. is officially endorsed by NAUPA and the participating states and provinces. Our site will assist you in thoroughly searching all participating states to find your family’s missing, lost, and unclaimed property, money and assets. has the most updated information for the state and provincial offices, their websites with contact information and property listings. Searches and claiming are always FREE. Information goes securely and directly to the state/provincial unclaimed property office. Benefits is a database of governmental unclaimed property records.

Common types of unclaimed property include:

  • Bank accounts and safe deposit box contents
  • Stocks, mutual funds, bonds, and dividends
  • Uncashed checks and wages
  • Insurance policies, CD’s, trust funds
  • Utility deposits, escrow accounts
  • Unredeemed U.S. Savings Bonds: Questions and Answers

The U.S. Treasury’s Bureau of the Public Debt is holding 44.7 million matured, unredeemed savings bonds worth $16.3 billion — and one of them could belong to your family. “Matured” means they have finished earning interest.

“Unredeemed” means the owners haven’t cashed them in. When you consider that savings bonds take 20 to 40 years to mature, it’s easy to see how people could forget about them.

The good news is that in 2000 the Treasury Department started its “Treasury Hunt” website, where you can search for savings bonds in your family’s name.

All you do is enter a social security number and the site returns results instantly. Here are additional questions and answers about searching for unredeemed savings bonds that will make your search more productive:

Q: I received savings bonds as a gift. Should I search under my social security number or the person’s who gave me the bonds?
A: Both. In 1974, the Treasury started asking for a social when issuing a bond. Gift bonds are allowed to be listed in the name of the giver or the receiver.

Q: I think I bought bonds before 1974. How do I search for those?
A: The Treasury Hunt website only lists savings bonds purchased from 1974 to the present, because it is organized by social security number, and that is when socials started being required. If you believe you may be owed money from an older bond, you can request a hand search by filling out a form here or by calling 1-800-553-2663.
Click HERE for tips and tricks on finding unclaimed money left by a loved one.
Read Mary Pitman’s answers to your questions about how to find unclaimed money.

Q: What do I have to do to claim my matured, unredeemed savings bond?
A: If you find a bond for yourself or your family on the Treasury Hunt website, you will be prompted to submit a preliminary claim. (Don’t miss this step. Treasury says its Treasury Hunt website has had 350,000 hits based on social security number since it went live, but that only 100,000 people left their contact information, so they could claim their bonds.)

A Treasury Department “finder” will then call you back to ask for more details and research your claim. If you are a match, then either the finder will mail you claim forms to fill out or you can download them from the website.
The claim forms for savings bonds must contain a certified signature. This process involves going to a bank, credit union, etc., presenting identification, and then signing the forms in the presence of a bank officer or notary who then certifies that your signature is valid.

Q: If I think there should be savings bonds in my name, but find nothing, do I have any other recourse?
A: Yes. Every month the Treasury Department adds another half million bonds to the database as they mature, so check back periodically.

Q: I believe I may own bonds that I have lost track of but that have not yet matured. How can I search for those?
A: You, too, can fill out a bond search request form, here, or call 1-800-553-2663. Treasury employees will research your query based on your social security number and other information provided.

Q: How do savings bonds work?
A: The Treasury has issued different savings bond series over the years and they are all slightly different. But the basic series “EE” savings bond listed in the Treasury Hunt search system worked like this:

  1. You purchased the bond for half its face value. So, for example, a $50 bond cost $25.
  2. That EE bond was guaranteed to grow to its face value after 20 years. So, a $50 savings bond purchased for $25 would have grown to $50.
  3. The EE bond would then continue earning interest for another 10 years.
  4. After 30 years, the EE bond was completely matured and no longer earned any more interest. For this reason, it’s best to cash it in, or reinvest it, so that your money is once again working for you.

Q: I bought savings bonds years ago, but never received them in the mail. How do I claim my money?
A: The Treasury Department refers to these as “undeliverable” bonds. Once again, the answer is to request a hand search. You can do that by filling out a request form or by calling 1-800-553-2663.

Q: I own savings bonds and have records of the dates and types. How do I know if they have stopped earning interest?
A: Below are charts from the Treasury Department’s website that will show you. Still unsure?  Try Treasury’s “Bond Wizard.”

Undeliverable U.S. Federal Tax refund checks

The Internal Revenue Service may have an undeliverable refund check that belongs to you.

Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp.The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. has searchable database to determine whether you are owed any pension benefits if your pension plan no longer exists because it was closed or was taken over by the pension agency. You also can track down the benefits if you are a survivor of the person who should be drawing the pension. This site will tell you what to do if you believe you are owed money but aren’t found in the agency’s database.

Federal Deposit Insurance CorporationA resource website to search for any unclaimed insured deposits for financial institutions that were closed by a regulatory agency between Jan. 1, 1989 and June 28, 1993.

FDIC: How to Solve Mysteries of Old Bank Accounts

National Credit Union Administration

Search for unclaimed accounts from liquidated credit unions.

U.S. Federal InvestmentsThe official source of information about U.S. Savings Bonds. Check the Treasury Huntwebsite for any Savings Bonds you may have forgotten about.**For lost, stolen or destroyed bonds: Download, complete and send Form 1048.

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban DevelopmentIf you had a HUD/FHA insured mortgage, you may have a refund on part of your insurance premium or a share of the earnings.

Veterans Administration Benefits

Search for unclaimed veterans benefits owed to you by the federal government.

U.S. Railroad Retirement Board

Search for unclaimed railroad retirement benefits


Soneri Bank – Pakistan


Rs 1,360 crore lying unclaimed in Indian banks
Chetan Chauhan and Mahua Ventakesh, Hindustan Times

New Delhi, March 08, 2011


Swiss Bankers Association Victims during the war or their heirs can make claims to assets
deposited in Swiss Banks during World War II.

Frozen Swiss Accounts Database Search FormThis website provides a notice of claim procedures

for locating Swiss, Swedish, French, and British bank and insurance accounts.

Holocaust Claims Processing Office of the New York State Banking DepartmentThis office attempts to recover assets

deposited in European banks, monies never paid in connection with insurance policies issued by European insurers and lost or looted art for victims of the Holocaust.

The International Commission on Holocaust Era Insurance Claims

Search for unpaid insurance policies issued to victims of the Holocaust. Information is available in 23 languages.

Australian Securities and Investments Commission

Search for unclaimed money and unclaimed property held by The Australian Commonwealth Government.

France Unclaimed Monies

Search for unclaimed monies held by banks in France. Information is available in French only.

New Zealand Unclaimed Monies

Search for unclaimed monies held by the Inland Revenue Department in New Zealand.

Swiss Bankers Association

Search for dormant accounts in Switzerland.